This weekend I will be traveling to Frankfurt to fulfill one of my life’s dreams. I will be driving a 2013 Porsche 911 (991) on the famous German autobahn. Fortunately, when you fly Lufthansa First Class through Frankfurt, they have arranged a sweet deal with Avis. For a mere 99 Euro, you can have up to 3 hours and 150km (a rough 1 Euro per km for each additional km) of fun on the autobahn. Even better this includes all the gas and insurance which you will surely burn flying up and down the A3.
In an upcoming trip report, you will see my crazy adventure which includes the “old” First Class product on the A346 from Vancouver (YVR) to Frankfurt (FRA), another trip to the famous First Class Terminal, the Lufthansa-Porsche experience through Avis, and the “new” First Class product on the 747-8 from Frankfurt to Washington, DC (IAD).
As stated above, it has been one of my “bucket list” items to drive a Porsche on the autobahn, and I am treating myself to an early birthday present with this trip. I’ve got my camera and GoPro packed so you can get a good idea of what’s in store when you visit Frankfurt and drive your Porsche.
Sadly, there are strong rumors that Lufthansa will be cutting First Class redemptions for Star Alliance members. This means that are once valued United miles will be further devalued because Lufthansa First is one of the top redemption options (until Feb 1, 2014). This means that you will need to use Lufthansa Miles & More miles to redeem a First Class ticket.
Well my friends, all hope is not lost because Barclay’s is running a
50,000 (now updated with terms as listed below) mile signup for the The Lufthansa Premier Miles & More World MasterCard® through this Sunday. It is normally 20,000 miles, so get the deal while it is hot so that you too can keep your options open if Lufthansa closes up partner availability.
- Earn up to 35,000 award miles with qualifying transactions
- Earn 20,000 award miles after your first purchase or balance transfer
- Earn up to 15,000 award miles with balance transfers (1 mile per $1 transferred) within 30 days of account opening
- Earn 2 award miles per $1 on ticket purchases directly from Miles & More integrated airline partners
- Earn 1 mile per $1 on all other purchases
- Complimentary Companion Ticket after first purchase, then annually thereafter
- No foreign transaction fees
- $79 Annual Fee, waived for SEN and HON Circle Members