The new category changes are hot off the presses. The timing comes off the additional terrible news that the Dom Hotel in Cologne will now be leaving the Starwood family. This is an amazing property with a location that cannot be beat. I had the opportunity to stay there during the Christmas season of 2009, and the views of the Dom (with the Christmas markets below) were unbeatable. Starwood will need to work some deals to build a bigger presence in this area of Germany as it has now lost a marquee property.
What changes does Starwood have in mind for 2013?
The link to the new changes: category_changes_2013_SPG.
Relevant Changes for Hotels On My Upcoming Trip through Europe and Southeast Asia:
Surprisingly only one Starwood hotel will be changing categories. On my upcoming trip I will be staying at the Sheraton Malpensa (Milan, Italy), Hotel Eden (Rome, Italy), Royal Orchid Sheraton (Bangkok, Thailand), Le Meridien Bangkok, and the Le Méridien Khao Lak Beach & Spa Resort (Khao Lak, Thailand).
1. Le Méridien Khao Lak Beach & Spa Resort (Thailand) [Cat 3 –> Cat 4]
- I’ll be staying there 6 nights on my upcoming venture to Thailand. Staying on Cash &Points it is a steal.
- With the changes in Category and the C&P increased rates, not as big as a steal, but still looks like a great property
Big Droppers (2+ Categories)
Only one hotel made the cut.
- Sheraton Baltimore North Hotel (Maryland) [ Cat 3 —> Cat 1] (Good Mattress Run Potential)
Big Risers (2+ Categories)
- Aloft New York Brooklyn [Cat 3 –> Cat 5]
- Sheraton Denarau Villas (Fiji) [Cat 4 –> Cat 6]
Movement At The Top (Category 7)
Hawaii is getting a little more difficult as multiple properties have moved into the elite Category 7. No Category 7 property fell.
- Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa, Waikiki Beach (Hawaii)
- The Westin Ka’anapali Ocean Resort Villas (Hawaii)
- The St. Regis Deer Valley (Utah)
- Santa Marina Resort & Villas, Mykonos (Greece)
- Vedema Resort, Santorini (Greece)
- Hotel Danieli, Venice (Italy)